A Free and Progressive Iceland
Iceland should be a frontrunner when it comes to human rights and democracy.
A Free and Progressive Iceland
All of Samfylkingin's efforts are based on the principles of democratic socialism, which include a focus on human rights and celebration of human diversity. Samfylkingin is a progressive movement that wants more international cooperation for Iceland, for the country to be open to new ideas and with a strong voice in the international community, to be welcoming to immigrants and to ensure equal opportunities for all people to thrive.
- A Referendum on Continued Negotiations with the EU Samfylkingin wants Iceland to become a full member of the European Union.The party also wants to keep the promise that was made to the nation, to be allowed to vote on continued negotiations with the EU, which previous governments have betrayed without consulting parliament or the nation.
- A New Constitution Based on the Constitutional Referendum Samfylkingin wants to continue work on a new constitution on the basis of the referendum in 2012. National ownership of resources, equal voting power and environmental protection are among the issues that we believe should be addressed in the constitution.
- More Equality Between the Country’s Regions Samfylkingin makes concerted efforts to increase equality between different regions of the country and wants to develop strong public services, safe transport and telecommunications throughout the country. By doing that, we can make the best use of diverse opportunities for value creation, allowing people to have a real choice of where they live.
- Iceland on top of the Rainbow Map We want to keep climbing up the ILGA Rainbow Map and Index, by working with LGBTQAI+ advocates, ensuring that Iceland will be at the forefront when it comes to the rights of LGBTQAI+ people. The focal point should be the self-determination of each individual and their right to choose their own identity.
- Better Legal Protection for Victims of Abuse Samfylkingin wants to ensure legal standing for victims of sexual and domestic abuse when perpetrators are tried, expedite procedures, establish a right to paid leave following an offense, extend rules on legal aid and ensure long-term support and security for victims during investigations.
- Ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Samfylking wants to ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and establish an independent human rights institution, which is necessary for the purposes of this and other conventions. People with disabilities must be provided with opportunities to live independently, and agreements on user-controlled personal assistance must be increased steadily.
- A More Humane Reception System for Asylum Seekers Samfylkingin wants to be more welcoming to people of foreign origin, develop a new and more humane policy in these matters, and stop interpreting the Act on Foreigners as narrowly as possible when handling applications. The party wants to stop deporting families with children who have established roots in Iceland, and stop deporting people to unsecure states.